Games Development Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool Community College Games development Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Character Development (Alex Winrow)

Go down 
+8
AdeleBurghall
AdoptedKey
Joe
Declan
Karl
DrCuddles
Kimmy (JH)
Kizz (AW)
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kizz (AW)

Kizz (AW)

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Empty
PostSubject: Unit 65: Task 1 (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 11:02 pm

Anticipation – This is a motion or action that prepares the audience for a bigger, more significant action. A good example would be someone swinging their arm back before they punch someone.
Secondary Action – This is an action that emphasizes another action, such as the hair of a runner following in the direction they’re running.
Exaggeration – This is a way to make animation look more interesting as a perfect imitation of reality can be boring. This can also be used to portray characters personalities easily, as many caricature’s demonstrate.
Curved Motion – Most human (and animal) actions don’t happen in straight lines but rather a curved arc. Animators will use this knowledge to make their animation look more realistic by keeping the movement arced. However, some things do move in straight lines most notably motorized objects.
Follow Through – This is when various moving parts of an object will continue to move even when the object has stopped.
Staging – This is used to direct the audience’s attention to that which is most important to the scene. This can be done in a variety of ways, although the most common way is to change the angle and position of the camera. A good example would be the camera zooming in on a rope being cut by a sharp stone as our hero tries to climb up it.
Back to top Go down
http://thenextbestsongintheworld.blogspot.com/
Kizz (AW)

Kizz (AW)

PostSubject: Character Model - Alex Winrow   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 10:26 pm

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Modell10
Here you can see how I started work on the head, using a cube as a base. I started to add features such as a nose and eyes by extruding and inner extruding certain polygons and moving certain points.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Modell11
I placed a hypernurb onto the head model to give it a smoother, rounder look. I haven't worked on the mouth because my character wears a helmet that will hide the bottom half of his face.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Modell12
Here is the frame I am using for the body. It is made up of a few boxes, each divided into several segments. The arms will be extruded out of the torso later on.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Modell13
Now you can start to see all the parts coming together. I made the helmet using an "oil tank" shape and removed any polygons that you wouldn't be able to see ie. most of the head.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Modell14
I have added more detail, mostly in the legs where you can see several pieces of his armour. I have also began modelling a hand.
Back to top Go down
Kimmy (JH)

Kimmy (JH)

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 10:34 pm

Only thing I would say is the middle looks bit to blocky but apart from that its awesome the eyes are very good
Back to top Go down
DrCuddles

DrCuddles

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 10:40 pm

Interesting to start with a cube for the head but it seems to have turned out well enough.
As jack said the detail on the eye sockets is very well done and you might want to look into adding detail to the chest as it does look cubish. The hand you have done doesn't look like it matches the arm as well, look into getting them together.
Other than that, awesome!
Back to top Go down
http://ikershaw.co.uk
Karl

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 11:18 pm

I really like his helmet but like the others feel his chest is a little under detailed in comparison.

I suppose that could be fixed in texture though with some crazy fool logos or something. Continue.
Back to top Go down
Declan

Declan

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 11:26 pm

Helmet is awesome, I'd say the hands don't really fit in well with the rest of the model, and maybe work on the middle a bit more, still looks like just a cube. Hawt though.
Back to top Go down
Kimmy (JH)

Kimmy (JH)

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 12:31 am

declan is right helment is awesome maybe some info on how you did that would improve this.
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 2:44 am

The helmet is awesome well done, i like the eyes and the chest piece aswell, maybe just add a little more detail to finish it off
Back to top Go down
Kizz (AW)

Kizz (AW)

PostSubject: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 8:33 pm

My Character is some futuristic bro in a fancy smancy robotic armour suit thingy. He's cooler than you are, and there's nowt you can do about it.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Sketch14
Here are a couple of sketches I did for possible poses for my character. The top one is a guy crossing his arms. The second is a guy showing his crotch. Which is better? You guys can give me feedback.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Sketch11
Here is the initial sketch for my character. I haven't gone into much detail, I just drew a general idea of what my character would look like.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Sketch12
I drew the front and side profile of the helmet so that I would have a better idea of how to model it when I got to that stage of the project. You can also see a doodle of my character nearer the top....but ignore that.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Sketch13
This is another sketch of my character, going into more detail. I used this as my main reference when modelling the character.

And those are my sketches.
Back to top Go down
Kizz (AW)

Kizz (AW)

PostSubject: Modelling the head   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 9:12 pm

So modelling, right guys? I started off with the head, and here's how I went about it.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Post_110
First I started with this here box, split into segments. I then made it editable, ready for the next step.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Post_210
I used the knife tool to split my cube straight down the middle. I then selected half of the polygons, ready to delete them.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Post_310
I deleted all those polygons which is pretty rad. BUT! There are all these points left floating about, and those are totally NOT rad. So what you do is you select all of the points (yes, ALL the points) and Optimize them. All the points that don't have a job/aren't connected to anything will just fade away. And now we can carry on.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Post_410
Now we throw our cube (or half a cube, I guess) inside of a symmetry. This will create a mirror image of the object placed inside the symmetry. This is pretty rad because it means whatever we do on one half of the face (trust me, it's a face) will instantly be recreated on the other side of the face!

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Post_510
Here I'm selecting a few polygons, these particular polygons will be the mouth. Once you've got em all highlighted/orange/ready you inner extrude them. Now I'm inner extruding it by 10 meters, which is ridiculous because nobody's mouth is 10 meters wide, but you could extrude it by any ammount you want, really we just want the new points, polygons and sides it makes.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Post_610
See all the nice new polygons and the like? That's what we wanted.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Post_710
Then all you gotta do is do the same sort of thing in the eye area. You could even inner extrude several times for the eye since it's such a delicate, expressive part of the body.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Post_810
We've got enough points now so I'm just going to move them about so it looks more like a face....

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Modell15
Like this. It's still a bit blocky, though. Not that big of an issue considering my character's going to be wearing a helmet for his entire life, but it still don't look right.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Modell16
Ahh, there you go. I just moved my symmetry/cube object into a Hypernurb. That smooths off all the sharp edges by adding a few/lots more polygons and points.

Well there you go! The head of my character is done and dusted.
Back to top Go down
Kizz (AW)

Kizz (AW)

PostSubject: The Torso   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Here's how I made the torso for my character.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Body_110
I started by making a cube. I changed the Y segments to 2 so that I had more polygons and points to work with. I then made it editable and started moving the points around.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Body_210
Here you can see what the torso is looking like from both the front and the side after I've moved the points about. It still looks a little basic.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Body_310
I've imported this picture into the back of my viewport to help me model. Now I can move points around so that they are a more realistic shape. I used the knife tool to add the extra polygons you can see here. I could cut it several more times so that I have a smoother model but I want to try and keep my poly count reasonably low, and since my character has a robotic sort of body it doesn't have to be very smooth and curved.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Body_410
And here's how it looks in the end! Pretty simple stuff, but it works. I might come back to this to add more detail.
Back to top Go down
DrCuddles

DrCuddles

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 11:07 pm

Looking good so far, everything's in proportion and your head is really good.
No negative comments to make so far but I'm sure I'll find something with more images :p
Back to top Go down
Kizz (AW)

Kizz (AW)

PostSubject: The Legs   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 12:38 am

You couldn't very well have a walking animation without some legs. Here's how I made mine.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Legs_110
I created 2 cubes, each divided into segments (3x3x3). I then resized them slightly so I could differentiate between the upper leg and the lower leg.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Legs_210
I used an orthographic picture of a man in the back of my viewport to help me resize the cubes that make up the leg.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Legs_310
All I needed to do next was to make the cubes editable and start moving the points about, try and get them a bit rounder y'know?

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Legs_410
Something like this! Well, they're certainly rounder here, but they're not as shapely as most legs.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Legs_510
I moved into the side view to move some more points around, making the legs more leg shaped.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Legs_610
And just like that, they're done! A little lacking in detail, but that can be done later.
Back to top Go down
Kizz (AW)

Kizz (AW)

PostSubject: The Helmet   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 1:01 am

My character has a pretty cool helmet. But how did I make it? Well here's how.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Helmet10
I started off by creating this here oil tank. Though, it's not very helmet shaped.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Helmet11
Messing around with the object properties give us this, which (believe me) is more helmet shaped.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Helmet12
I deleted the polygons on the bottom, since I wanted a straight edge and the end of the helmet. I also moved the lower ring of polygons down so as to make the helmet longer.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Helmet13
Now, to make the hole for the eyes (I like to call it the "eye hole") I just selected the polygons that made it up and extruded them. Here's the interesting bit, I extruded them to a minus value so that they moved IN rather than OUT. I apologise if you actually thought I was going to say something interesting.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Helmet14
Then I just deleted those polygons I had selected to make the "eye hole". Great stuff, no?

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Helmet15
And there's the finished thing. The details were all done via extruding certain polygons. Pretty simple stuff, but the end product looks pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Kizz (AW)

Kizz (AW)

PostSubject: The Arms   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 1:20 am

My character needed some arms, so I made them. Here's how.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Arms_110
First things first, extrude out of the torso. Then a little more, for the elbow. And then another big extude for the rest of the arm. That's how I got the general arm shape. They're a bit pointy though.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Arms_210
To give 'em that rounder, armier, shape I had to cut down the arms first with the knife tool to make some new polygons. I was listening to MCR at the time.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Arms_310
Then I just moved the points around to achieve a rounder shape. That's all there is to it, really.
Back to top Go down
Kizz (AW)

Kizz (AW)

PostSubject: The Feet   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 1:31 am

Feet are also pretty important in that whole "walking" mlarky.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Foot_110
Like the legs before them, the foot started off as a cube divided into segments.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Foot_210
I made the cube editable and started moving some of the polygons and such about. Here I've elongated it a bit, so it's a bit more like a foot. Of course, my character is wearing shoes/boots of some sort and so I don't have to go into too much detail here. No toes or anything.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Foot_310
Here's what it ended up looking like. If you think it looks strange that's just because my character is wearing funky, futurisic, cyberatic, lunatronic, space boots.
Back to top Go down
DrCuddles

DrCuddles

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 1:33 am

This is looking really good so far, haven't got much negativity to say about it, might want to put some more detail on the body parts.
Back to top Go down
Kizz (AW)

Kizz (AW)

PostSubject: The Pelvis/Crotch/Moneymaker   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 1:45 am

I like Declan, but I figured my character could do with a crotch-like area unlike his. So, let's get the ball rolling.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Crotch10
This is a familiar sight. A cube split into segments. The reason I do this is so that I don't add too many polygons into my model making it some high poly tosh.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Crotch11
After moving some of the points around it's looking more and more like a crotch than you'd ever of thought.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Crotch12
Of course, it's not just the crotch I'm trying to shape, I also need to get dat buttocks. I'm using the picture in the back of my viewport to help me shape it.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Crotch12
And there you have it. I rounded it off at the top as well, for extra comfort.
Back to top Go down
Kizz (AW)

Kizz (AW)

PostSubject: Some Details   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 1:53 am

Here are some before/after shots for some of the fancy extras my character gets on his lunatronic armour.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Detail10
Sausage legs are so yesterday

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Detail11
Fancy leg armour is the future

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Detail12
He looks pretty cool but he's missing something.....

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Detail13
Ridiculous sized shoulder pads! OF COURSE!

What do you guys think? Anything else I should add? Come on, have your people call my people and we'll arrange a lunch.
Back to top Go down
Kizz (AW)

Kizz (AW)

PostSubject: A Render   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 2:00 am

I thought I'd post a render so that you all know how I'm getting along. The only note I want to make is that this is not how it's going to be textured when I hand it in, these textures were quickly thrown on it so that you have a better idea of what's what and stuff.

Character Development (Alex Winrow) Done10

Feedback time. Come on, don't be shy. Compare it and contrast it with my initialy sketches, see what's going on.
Back to top Go down
DrCuddles

DrCuddles

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 3:39 am

Wow, that looks really similar to the initial sketch, just what you wanted to make I see, try and put some detail on the model now, it looks a bit plain.

Other than that it is awesome!
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 2:54 am

I think maybe what you need to add is a third arm, and make his legs a bit bigger. Cause like, with bigger legs, he could totally crush boulders and attract some sexy womens!

But no in all seriousness, your model is awesome. I can't wait to see the walk cycle!
Definatly the best one I've seen so far.
Also the second one I've seen so far.
Back to top Go down
AdeleBurghall

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 3:11 pm

Wow your character is coming along very well. it has got some good shape such as the helmet. would like to see some more detail Smile
Back to top Go down
Kimmy (JH)

Kimmy (JH)

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 8:34 pm

I can't wait to see the fully UV'd character, model wise I think waist could use some detail.
Back to top Go down
xFUBARx CrYpTIc

xFUBARx CrYpTIc

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 5:11 pm

I love this one, drawings are quality and the model looks awesome, the armour is boss!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character Development (Alex Winrow)   Character Development (Alex Winrow) Empty

Back to top Go down

Character Development (Alex Winrow)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next