Games Development Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool Community College Games development Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Task 1 - Principles of Animation

Go down 
+8
ste trev
andrew foden
Ozzfest
TheSpartanMoose
Colin Peters
Sgste Sammons
Sean R
Burrows
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Burrows

Burrows

Task 1 - Principles of Animation Empty
PostSubject: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 3:44 pm

Anticipation:

This is when you are basically letting your audience know something is about to happen. It usually a situation that is built up and the audience will expect one outcome at the end of it. The example I have found is in this clip from Tom & Jerry. Tom attempts to stop the dog from looking in the kennel as there is dynamite about to go off inside it, but as soon as the dog looks inside the kennel you expect it to explode, which it does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXoU32y-fU0

Weight:

Weight is basically self-explanatory in animation. It is how weight is shown with the characters. For example if you have a really fat character their movement is going to be slow and have a struggling appearance to it, whereas a skinny small character is going to walk easily and is going to appear to be a lot faster than the fat character. My example is the end clip on this family guy video where ‘Stewie’ follows the fat guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydVp-2B8qlw

Exaggeration:

This is when something is exaggerated to gain to the viewer’s attention. Sometimes things can be over exaggerated and can start to bore the audience, but over exaggeration can have its comical values also. My example is from family guy where ‘Peter Griffin’ falls over and hurts his leg, but says ‘Ouch!’ over and over again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaKaNQXJff0

Secondary Action:

This is basically something that happens because of something else. For example a basketball is thrown at the ring but it hits the ring, the secondary action would be that the ring would move/vibrate because the ball has hit it. Another example could probably be if an atom bomb exploded the secondary action would be distance the explosions spreads and the damage it causes.

Squash & Stretch:

This is basically when something is either squashed because of an item heavier or much larger than something else has been dropped on top of this causing it to become squashed, or stretch could be when a characters arms have been attached to two things that are pulling apart that causes its whole body to stretch. These effects are unrealistic but the audience accept them because this is what they could image to happen.

And yes i like Family Guy! (:
Back to top Go down
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Unit 33: Task 2 - Walk Cycle Development   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Task 1 - Principles of Animation 110Task 1 - Principles of Animation 210Task 1 - Principles of Animation 310Task 1 - Principles of Animation 410Task 1 - Principles of Animation 510Task 1 - Principles of Animation 610Task 1 - Principles of Animation 710Task 1 - Principles of Animation 810

Task 1 - Principles of Animation Walk_c10
Back to top Go down
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 3:30 pm

From this last post I have developed the walk cycle with a few changes. First of all the size of the character seems to go from small to big because when using flash I just put in each image without taking the height and width into consideration.

Task 1 - Principles of Animation Walk_c11

I solved this by using the ruler tool in flash and adjusting the size of each image accordingly to the ruler marks. This basically gave the character the right height and wight and solved the problem of the character gaining and losing height during the actual animated walk cycle.

Task 1 - Principles of Animation Walk_c12
Back to top Go down
Sean R

Sean R

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 3:32 pm

I really think you should draw in some real hands ^^
Other than that I really enjoy your drawings - the hippy makes me smile ;D
Back to top Go down
Sgste Sammons

Sgste Sammons

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 3:33 pm

Love the hands.

Does this character have a gender yet? If not...

The smiley face on the T-shirt indicates a girl.

Add something like a skull if it's a guy, and remove the hairband... seriously! Wink
Back to top Go down
Colin Peters

Colin Peters

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 3:37 pm

walk cycle looks good, i agree with ste, give him a punisher type skull t-shirt
Back to top Go down
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154918
TheSpartanMoose

TheSpartanMoose

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 6:09 pm

Nice Wink

I love the tentacle arms as well ;D
Back to top Go down
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Here is my updated walk cycle, it still needs the rest of the frames coloured in and some work on each frames character head.

Task 1 - Principles of Animation Update10

I also took your idea Colin and had a go at the punisher style shirt and this was the outcome. Im not too keen tbh =/

Task 1 - Principles of Animation Color110
Back to top Go down
Ozzfest

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 6:25 pm

The punisher shouldn't be smiling give him a frown see if it works. I liked the other shirt too
Back to top Go down
andrew foden

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 6:58 pm

That tshirt is gonna look funky once it's all finished lol. looking good sean
Back to top Go down
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 3:34 am

Finished version, all frames coloured in and a bit of shadow added here and there.

Task 1 - Principles of Animation Finished1
Back to top Go down
andrew foden

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 6:55 pm

nice one sean, that's looking great Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 9:31 pm

Cheers andy! I tried to make the pattern of the tshirt match through the whole walk cycle and I think its came out pretty well (:
Back to top Go down
ste trev

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 3:19 am

that really gd i like the design of the shirt !! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
andrew foden

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 3:29 am

yeah, you did a really good job on the shirt, I was expecting some crazy random all-over-the-place pattern. lol
Back to top Go down
Paul Wilson 1990

Paul Wilson 1990

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 10:29 pm

this is the character of the class xD, it walks really well Smile, love the smiley face Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alex.P

Alex.P

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 5:33 pm

The T-shirt looks great, turns with the charater, only issue is the head should really turn aswell
Back to top Go down
Ozzfest

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 5:54 pm

There's a really good development, great improvement from the first to the last, well done.
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 12:03 am

I like the colour sceme you've gone for. However I've noticed that one of the feet seems to have a round end on it while another has a curved part that looks like it ends in a point.
Back to top Go down
http://wrenchesatdawn.blogspot.com/
Hick3y1 :D

Hick3y1 :D

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 6:37 pm

looking good his top is pretty cool does he own your happy club
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Task 1 - Principles of Animation   Task 1 - Principles of Animation Empty

Back to top Go down

Task 1 - Principles of Animation
Page 1 of 1