Games Development Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool Community College Games development Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust*

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* Empty
PostSubject: The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust*   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:43 am

So then since this is the first post I've ever made on this forum (I'm pretty new guys, lol, don't hit on me!~) I thought I'd start out with a breif bio for my character, whom I intend to model and animates.

Name: Robot-Man 1200
Primary function: Walking like a freakin' bro
Favourite food: Curry & Rice
Hobbies: J-Walking
Favourite music: Anything but rap and country lol xx
Notes: His body. It is ready.

So then, that out of the way, here are some sketches, which I did at the very start of this project. No lies.

Front View
The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* Seanfr10
The front view sketch is supposed to show how I want the character to look after the modelling stage is finished. It shows minor details I wish to include like the joints being wonderful little spheres. Or the lovely pattern on his arm cannon special original gun arm.

Side View
The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* Seansi10
The side view shows small things like how wide I want the model to be when it's finished. If used in conjunction with my front view sketch, I can also import it into cinema to halp with modelling as a whole.

Right, on to Cinema work now.

Last edited by AdoptedKey on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jake

Jake

PostSubject: Re: The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust*   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Excellent development, I really love what you have done with it so far.
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Re: The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust*   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 3:20 pm

y ty

i am chili cherry

Anyway on to serious matters. I've been thinking about the project and thought it might be a good idea to plan out the walk cycle.

Now this is COMPLETELY unprompted by my wonderful tutor Clare <3, but I'm totally doing sketches of what I want the cycle to look like.

Sneak-a-peak RITE NAO:
The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* Seancy10

The idea of this sketch was to teach myself how exactly the walk animation should look. Also, because there are five frames, I can use the sketch to position the model at different keyframes in the animation.

Also next person to post in this thread is the gayest of the gay.
If he deletes his post then he is double gay with no take-backs =D

Last edited by AdoptedKey on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kimmy (JH)

Kimmy (JH)

PostSubject: Re: The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust*   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 7:14 pm

Very Happy this is my characters head
What a Face these are my face features
lol! FINISH ANIMATION
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Part 1 (About Time)   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Lets do dis shi--

FIRST:

The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* 1_bmp11

STARTAN' WITH A COOB.
I added 4 segments to each dimension so I could shape it properly into a head. Which I'll do L8R.

Peace out <3
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Part 2 (Oh My Gawwwwwwwwd)   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:15 pm

I know I haven't updated in a while but I wouldn't leave my dead fans hangin' Smile

The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* 2_bmp10

So I went into the front view and shaped the cube into a head by grabbing points and scaling them in. I added new segments where necessary and also PS3 has
Spoiler:

Next week, I'll be creating some shoes, because it's a walk cycle and only losers walk with no shoes.
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Part 3 (SonicIsReal)   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Haha guys I'm just kidding, Sonic isn't real +D

So here's my wonderful boot

The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* 3_bmp10

It was made in pretty much the same way as the head, a cube with segments which got shaped in the front view. I then used the knife tool to create a segment for the base which I then extruded out to make it wonderful. I did a similar thing to make the top, I created a new segment, extruded up and then inner extruded to hollow it out.
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Part 4 (I'm not dead!)   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:23 pm

Hey guys I know I haven't posted in a while but that doesn't mean I'm dead! I mean jeez! I already told you in like 5 other posts that I would never commit suicide, that would send me straight to hell.

Anyway, this week I created the hand, in a very similar way to how I made everything else ever, with a cube and a knife tool.

Here it is:
The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* 4_bmp10

I shaped the cube to the palm of the hand, then I extruded out fingers and the thumb, giving them knuckles and fingernails too with extruding. Man I love extruding.
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Part 5 (Sexy ladies everywhere)   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:43 pm

Hey guys, this week I got laid I made the body.

Take a gander:
The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* Body_110

A very simple body, I didn't even do much too it in the sense of segmenting and re-shaping. I made it the right shape and then added one cut to form the arms, which I then simply extruded out.

I then rounded the arms and began to make it seem more robotic by shaping the grooves in the joint:
The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* Body_310

But then the robot idea went to pot (due to the parts I had already created looking more human than robot) so I scrapped them and finished with this:
The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* Body_d10

Hypernoobs out the rear end.
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Part 6 (It's like a big puzzle but I've lost half the pieces)   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:51 pm

My goal this week was simply to have a full body model, with limbs and other such things. I extruded a neck from the head into the body and I used the one arm I made as legs too, which I then attacked the hands and boots too respectively. Wanna see? Well you'll have to click this black bar.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Part 7 (Algebraic!)   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:55 pm

Skeletons are a wonderful thing, except for when I make them. When I make them, stuff like this happens:

The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* 7_bmp10

The bones worked out pretty well here and connected in the right places. I let the bones overflow outside the mesh because when animating it will make for more fluid motions. Not that it ended up mattering..
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Part 8 (Rhombus!)   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:00 pm

CONTROLS!

Yeah, sorry I haven't posted in like 2 months, but, CONTROLS.

I mean I don't even know how high you even have to be to do something like this.

Here's what they ended up looking like:
The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* 10_bmp10

They actually work pretty well as far as controls go, but obviously there's no way to prove this so feel free to ignore me.
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Part 9 (Almost there)   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Weighting everywhere

I realise that most people do this before controls, but I'm an awesomley cool non conformist and whatnot, so here, weighting!

The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* 8_bmp10

Weighted the right side where the skeleton and the lovely controls are. I love weighting, in all honesty, it's like you can go crazy painting, and you CAN'T go outside the lines. Feels good man.
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Part 10 (Touch Down)   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:07 pm

Well it's been over a year since my last post, but I've finally finished everything!

Here, take a looksee:

The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* 9_bmp10

I mirrored everything | gnihtyreve derorrim I

hahahahaha me so funny, but we have a laugh, right?

So it's all ready to animated.. Maybe one day, you'll see it! Or maybe, you already have, you unfortunate bugger Sad

Well, I guess that be it. Later guys, you're in my heart always <3
Back to top Go down
Karl

PostSubject: Re: The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust*   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Controls before weighting. Character not in the T pose before the weighting.

whatamiseeing.jpg

No but really, I like the way you did your head, you made that box into a head wonderfully, though I would like to see more renders of it or something.

Seeing as I have like 10 more feedback posts to do, I'll be back shortly!
Back to top Go down
AdoptedKey

AdoptedKey

PostSubject: Re: The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust*   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 2:05 am

There were a lot of "time" complications during this project which meant I had to change a bunch of features about my model. The body really didn't work with the head, and the head really didn't work with anything. To amend this I decided to just make him more human looking and go from there. The model turned out pretty nice, I think. There were some obvious flaws but nothing that completely ruined the model. There's a slight symmetry error I would have liked to fix given more time (you can see the split in the model).

Boning my model was every bit of easiness there ever was and then more. I still managed to get it wrong a couple of time though. In the end, however, my bones turned out pretty well. I had one small problem with the location in which the arm bones would connect to the spine, but it was quickly fixed during the next part of the process.

Which was weighting. Weighting is one of my favourite parts of animating, believe it or not. That in mind, I think I did a pretty good job here, I took care of all the spikes and such and I did a huge clean-up where I made sure no bone moved a seperate part of the mesh. Weighting was also the cause of every single problem ever during the next stage, it constantly showed new errors whilst adding controls/moving bones. Nothing I couldn't fix though, being the masterful weighter I am.

Next came controls, the bane of my existance. This was all the badness, with me being absolutly terrible at everything that falls under them. I was able to mirror the bones and weighting okay, which was good. But everything after that was like... I don't even know how to describe the way I feel about the controls. The controls are what I name responsible for the terrabadness of my finished animation. However, at the end of the day, I learned how to use them, basically at least. At the end of the day, isn't that what it's all about?

No. It's about the animation. As previously mentioned, my animation was a little bit Neutral . However I think I made up for that with all this pre-production work I did before the production. Seriously though, concluding all of this rubbish, I think my project was very poor. However I think I learned tonnes of helpful hints and tips for the next time. So I'm sure I will do better when I have to re-do this unit for Clare Smile.

tl;dr
I suck
I learned how to suck less
Never touching walk cycle again

Love <3 x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust*   The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust* Empty

Back to top Go down

The lost thread of Sean Cawley's development *blows dust*
Page 1 of 1