Games Development Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool Community College Games development Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... Empty
PostSubject: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyMon May 24, 2010 3:49 pm

BEHOLD
Lessons to learn and remember so that we may change the gaming world!
Back to top Go down
http://wrenchesatdawn.blogspot.com/
Kimmy (JH)

Kimmy (JH)

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyMon May 24, 2010 5:22 pm

I don't agree that they are important because all seem to be wrong or not just gamer realted imo.
Shiny gadgets is not just gamers.

Last edited by Kimmy (JH) on Mon May 24, 2010 5:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Declan

Declan

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyMon May 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Kimmy (JH) wrote:
I don't any

I don't think any* elephant
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyMon May 24, 2010 9:42 pm

They're important because they're about gamers and what the industry and other media believe them to be like.

Don't forget. If you're designing characters or stories for games, you have to make them so people will play them and enjoy playing it so they may buy sequels, merch and such or look forward to other games you will have your hand in.

If you only make a game to appeal to a demographic which no longer or never really has dominated the percentages of consumers (Remember, home gaming has been around longer than skateboarding.) you are limiting both the amount of people purchasing the product as well as the amount of people who want to be introduced to modern video games and potential future consumers but are put off by the lack of an enthralling plot or developed characters.
Back to top Go down
Kimmy (JH)

Kimmy (JH)

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyMon May 24, 2010 10:42 pm

You seem to have missed my point...in that those points where wrong, I know knowing your audience is important did that this year. But if i wanted to make a game I would not use a site that also has list called " The 19 Most Hilariously Failed Attempts at Sexy Album Covers." Those 5 things all seem to be what Fox news thinks every gamer is.
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyMon May 24, 2010 11:00 pm

Just because a newspaper has cartoon strips, or that a news broadcast has an "and finally" section about a surfing cat doesn't mean all the the things it says are wrong.
Back to top Go down
Kimmy (JH)

Kimmy (JH)

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyMon May 24, 2010 11:05 pm

okay couple of things I'd like to bring up
1)are you defending fox news? you need to watch them talk about mass effect
2) that site said game have bad story then listed 5 action fps's as bad story because you kill alot of people, if you turned the murder in a game it would basicly become a movie
3) it said pc gaming is dying....yeah don't see that happening
4) Also said "Hey, remember back when every new groundbreaking innovation happened on the PC? What happened to those days?" don't pc's get new stuff like every year?
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyMon May 24, 2010 11:46 pm

1) I'm not defending Fox News. I'm basically saying that just because something has something done for humour on it doesn't mean it can't touch on a bit of truth. Fox News IS one big "And Finally" section.
2) You might have to rephrase that. I didn't quite understand it.
3) Have you been into an HMV or Game recently? I hardly see any PC games in the non-preowned sections. As recently as two to three years ago there was at least a wall full of them. Now it's less than half in most stores I've been to.
4) Just because PCs get a new game every year doesn't mean there isn't difficulties in the industry. And you're forgetting how little that is in comparison to the number of console games coming out each year.
Back to top Go down
Kimmy (JH)

Kimmy (JH)

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyTue May 25, 2010 12:55 am

yes I have been into game and hmv but you know PC games have sorta gone behond that to steam which was realsed on macs recently therefore making pc gaming even bigger. I wasn't talking about pcs getting new games I ment improvments in preformance etc...
And in my 2nd point i was saying how the guy on the site clearly doesn't understand games as a form of media, he dismissed each games story due to the fact you kill alot of people, BUT if you took out 90% of the killing in games like halo and CoD they would be boring or basicly a movie.
Back to top Go down
Karl

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyTue May 25, 2010 2:10 pm

2/3rds of all gamers are girls. whatisthis.jpg

Kingsalmonattack wrote:

3) Have you been into an HMV or Game recently? I hardly see any PC games in the non-preowned sections. As recently as two to three years ago there was at least a wall full of them. Now it's less than half in most stores I've been to.

Almost as if PC gaming has moved onto online distribution.

You being trolled Jack, no one takes this list seriously. NO-ONE.
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyTue May 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Kimmy (JH) wrote:
And in my 2nd point i was saying how the guy on the site clearly doesn't understand games as a form of media, he dismissed each games story due to the fact you kill alot of people, BUT if you took out 90% of the killing in games like halo and CoD they would be boring or basicly a movie.
He wasn't saying that they didn't have a bad story because you kill a lot of people. He was saying that if you took out the killing there would usually be minimal plot and, like you wrote, it would be a boring.

Karl wrote:
2/3rds of all gamers are girls. whatisthis.jpg
2/3rds of ONLINE gamers are girls. That is just over half. Which is roughly how many women compared to men there are born in the western world. It's not that big a stretch. Especially if you go on online and hear somebody on voice chat talking in a higher pitched voice and then everybody else calls them a whiny 13 year old boy... And then the line goes kind of awkwardly silent. Occasionally with a droning "Uhhhhh..."
I hear that a lot. And as a female gamer that prefers to use male gaming avatars, I wouldn't be surprised if that was an accurate statistic anyway.

Karl wrote:
Almost as if PC gaming has moved onto online distribution.
And therefore cutting out the demographic that doesn't own a credit or debit card to pay with.
Back to top Go down
Karl

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyTue May 25, 2010 3:44 pm

Kingsalmonattack wrote:

2/3rds of ONLINE gamers are girls.

86% of statistics...
Back to top Go down
Kimmy (JH)

Kimmy (JH)

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyTue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

2/3rds of online gamers are girls, i disagree if this where true you'd run into girls all the time online. As a male gamer that uses a female name people are shocked to see a girl that no matter what the game
CoD
TF2
SSF4
MvC2
Burnout

These are just some of games I have played and talked to people on and never come across any girls and in every game every guy is shocked to find a "girl." Also most of them are not 13 year old boys, just the other day a 33 year old was shocked and shouting down mic at me "Are you a chick?"

Also in this day in age who doesn't have a credit/debit card or has perants card assigned to their steam. like my friend Jenny (also male gamer with female name but thats a WHOOOOLE other story)
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 1:40 pm

TF2 is swamped with female gamers. What do you think all the Meavy and Spiper yaoi fangirls on TF2 Chan are playing?

And there are more online games than just the ones on that list.
Where's World of Warcrack or Everquease?

Take note that it is online gamers overall. Of course there's bound to be games in which girl players are rare but that doesn't mean there ain't the opposite, too.
Back to top Go down
Kimmy (JH)

Kimmy (JH)

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 11:58 pm

I know there are more online games than that, I was listing some of the games I have played online not every online game, because I havn't played everyone online game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...   5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game... Empty

Back to top Go down

5 Important (non-techinical) things to know when creating a game...
Page 1 of 1