Games Development Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool Community College Games development Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Must Play Games Of The 6th Generation!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

Must Play Games Of The 6th Generation! Empty
PostSubject: Must Play Games Of The 6th Generation!   Must Play Games Of The 6th Generation! EmptyWed May 05, 2010 4:52 am

I was in Steve's class on thursday... And I thought about making a thread for those who have experienced good/interesting games from the past gen that have been overlooked to have their time to shine while it's easy to nab a bargain and not to hard to find a second hand copy at least.
BTW I'm doing this for the benefit of you guys. The last thing I should want is somebody else muscling in on my secondhand collecting turf. But it just kills me (in a bad, non-literal way) to see people overlook games that if made nowadays would probably be revered as modern classics.

When you make a post here, remember to post the following:
1. Box art. Can be european, american, from wherever. As long as it's box art so people looking to buy/rent it somewhere/borrow it from somebody have an idea of what it might look like.
2. One reason why it's worth taking a look at and a few sentences explaining why. No "Because it's awesome!" or "Because it looks nice." Something more along the line of "It has a style of gameplay that is different from most other titles. It is an FPS that doesn't use the right shoulder button/trigger to fire." or something like that but better. That's just an example.
3. A rating out of 5. 0 being lowest, 5 being highest. Obviously. Decimal points are allowed.
Take into consideration the time in which the game was made and the expectations of the gamers back then. We've only been in this gen about five years so it shouldn't be too hard to think back or get somebody else's opinion.
4. One game from the same generation that is similar to but not related to the game you've just described that would be another good suggestion. Provide an in game screenshot and three words/short sentences to describe that game.
5. Two games from the current gen that it's most similar to (But isn't related to.). You don't need to explain why.

Anyway, here's my two cents. Groan all you want for me mentioning it again... You have to give it a shot. Plus, it's available (legally) for free download somewhere on the net.

Must Play Games Of The 6th Generation! 609

The Suffering (2004) is a prime example of building a chilling atmosphere. The gritty environments and use of sound are reminiscent of one of those nightmares in which would find yourself in somewhere unreal but scarily familliar regardless of whether you actually have been anywhere like it or not. It's more than just blood splattering everywhere and flesh being torn apart. It the things you don't see that tend to disturb you the most. The things left implied or that you have to think about to realise what occured.

I'd give this game a rating of 4.5 out of 5 since the good ending was a bit too obvious.

A game it's similar to that's also from around the same time is: Ghosthunter - 2003
Epic ghost/zombie/level designs, occasionally damn freaky, NARF!

Current gen games similar to The Suffering would be: Dead Space and Gears of War... ON EARTH!!!
Back to top Go down
http://wrenchesatdawn.blogspot.com/
Kimmy (JH)

Kimmy (JH)

Must Play Games Of The 6th Generation! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Must Play Games Of The 6th Generation!   Must Play Games Of The 6th Generation! EmptyWed May 05, 2010 11:24 am

Must Play Games Of The 6th Generation! 561378_front

Enough said. Platforming was fun, levels where varied levels and fun characters, giant panda that attacks you with fireworks.. 4.7 out of 5
Back to top Go down

Must Play Games Of The 6th Generation!
Page 1 of 1