Games Development Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool Community College Games development Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden

Go down 
+5
Burrows
Colin Peters
Alex.P
Paul Wilson 1990
andrew foden
9 posters
AuthorMessage
andrew foden

Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden Empty
PostSubject: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 4:50 pm

Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden T_c7gpxab2m_fa0bed2

http://img40.imagefra.me/img/img40/2/9/29/f_c7gpxab2m_fa0bed2.jpg

Thing 1. Helicopter/Fly/Plane

This thing was based off a dragonfly and a beatle (the big flat piece of metal below the fly wings would come up and cover or shield the wings sort of like a beetle. I didn't have them up because I wanted to show the wings), which I merged with an old propeller plane and an apache helicopter.

I gave it some crazy insecty fingers which feed things onto it's propeller - I don't know why it would want to do that, but yeah, I never really planned this one out in my head at all.

The legs were influenced by insect shapes whilst still looking like mechanical feet.

The thing popping up at the back are insect eyes on the front of a jet engine. Again, don't ask me why, I wouldn't know. xD

Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden T_16fr8apm_ea579dd

http://img39.imagefra.me/img/img39/2/9/29/f_16fr8apm_ea579dd.jpg

Thing 2. Jet Fighter/Beatle

This one is drawn from a birds eye view.

I started with the shape of a beetle. I added some jet fighter air scoops onto it's back, and some jet engine nozzles.

The neck was turned into a cockpit, and Su-47 style forward swept wings were added.

It would stand on feet or legs.

I wanted to keep this one simple because it would look more streamlined, and so I could concentrate on the shading.

Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden T_16fr8blm_b1a1bcc

http://img38.imagefra.me/img/img38/2/9/29/f_16fr8blm_b1a1bcc.jpg

Thing 3. Crab/Mantis/Tank/Jetpack

I started with a segmented spine sort of thing with big claws, a jetpack, an engine for a heart and chrome pipe ribs. Then I did a jaw with 4 antennas on it and then a head based off of a praying mantis. For walking, I gave it caterpillar tracks from a tank and 2 long insect legs for walking and balance.

For reference on all these, I pasted a load of reference images into paint so that I had all my references in one place. The file is massive btw. (45mb so I wont bother uploading it)
Back to top Go down
andrew foden

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 9:54 pm

Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden 100_6945

I wasn't sure about the first 2 so I had another go at this.

I've came up with this beetle thing with wheels on it's 6 legs, allowing it to walk or drive around. 2 arms are kept inside its chest.

It's head is a mix between a helmet and a deep sea diving suit.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul Wilson 1990

Paul Wilson 1990

PostSubject: Feedback on work   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 11:04 pm

i love all ur creature designs coz of the boss shading Very Happy, but id say the last two where the best due to there different and i think everyone liked ur mantis machine thingy, but i like ur tank beetle its awesome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul Wilson 1990

Paul Wilson 1990

PostSubject: Feedback on work 2   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 11:09 pm

dont know how to edit :S

erm i like the mantis one becuase you have kept it original by keeping and incorparating the standard mantis shape and then your putting in different machinery parts and creature parts to make it look like a brillant creature but very original because u have kept the shape and stance right Very Happy

the beetle btw is just brillant because again it looks like one yet its a big massive tank thingy which is kl Smile
Back to top Go down
Alex.P

Alex.P

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 3:11 pm

That tank beetle is way awesome, i love the simplicity of the drawing and the slightshading you've done with the fine-liner, keep it up
Back to top Go down
Colin Peters

Colin Peters

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 4:12 pm

i agree with alex, i love its clean feel and the fine liner makes it stand out alot
great work
Back to top Go down
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154918
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:41 pm

i love creature 3, it just looks really good and I think the shading you have done on it makes it look epic haha!

The parts work well with the chosen insect also which is good.
Back to top Go down
Nathan

Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 12:52 pm

The creatures, are great andy, my fave has to be the kinda hybrid one, im not sure what exactly it is xD. but its really cool , also ive seen ur current one in photoshop, and its lookin awesome, keep it up! :O
Back to top Go down
Sean R

Sean R

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 10:56 pm

You need to get your coloured drawings up here! They all look good as i've seen them in class like Nathan said but I gotta say those drawings are pretty damn good. Keep it up ^^
Back to top Go down
andrew foden

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 12:15 am

Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden 100_6945ps4copy

This is the first thing I coloured in, and I pretty much got everything by messing around with blending properties. The vents on the side and the floor were from CG textures.

Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden Planebug3copy

This is my flying beetle jet. I had a lot of trouble with this one getting rid of white edges which appeared out of nowhere. The shadows I did in photoshop don't look excellent, but I dunno how I could change them without ruining it.

I am also getting ready to do my crab mantis.
Back to top Go down
andrew foden

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 1:43 am

I'm at a dead end with this mantis one. I dunno what to add to it to make it better. Any ideas?

Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden Mantiscopy
Back to top Go down
Sean R

Sean R

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 2:59 am

It is a very very strong green and looks very striking however maybe there is too much? You could change the colour of the tracks to a more metal colour?
Other than that it looks very good ^^
Back to top Go down
michaelbishop

michaelbishop

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 10:56 pm

Looking really awesome mate Smile
Back to top Go down
Nathan

Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 6:05 pm

Andy omg... your designs are fantastic... the Green one is awesome, i love the fact you used a tank track layer for its feet,
and the Jet looks so dark and evil sorta looks like an evil robot Smile
keep it up there brilliant
Back to top Go down
Alex.P

Alex.P

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 2:36 pm

Maybe you could make the jetpack bits at the top mettalic grey, same with the internal bits just under where the arms join and the legs and tracks.
Also throw in some neons, can't go wrong with neon lights Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul Wilson 1990

Paul Wilson 1990

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 9:45 pm

all your designs are brillant Smile, and the colouring in is awesome to Smile, but the mantis one is too green lol or maybe it is your under coat, but i think u need to include textures on the metal parts and then put sumthing weird like neons lights in the tracks or claws thats just an idea
Back to top Go down
Hick3y1 :D

Hick3y1 :D

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 4:12 pm

some one knows how to use photoshop Very Happy

keep it up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden   Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden Empty

Back to top Go down

Creature Concepts - Andrew Foden
Page 1 of 1