Games Development Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool Community College Games development Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows

Go down 
+7
Hick3y1 :D
Lucy Mayo
Alex.P
Paul Wilson 1990
andrew foden
ORCHARD
Burrows
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Burrows

Burrows

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows Empty
PostSubject: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:13 pm

Building Matte Painting

I decided to go with a slightly different idea to everyone else so I chose a derelict building that is located in Toxteth, Liverpool. I chose that I wanted to convert the derelict building into a futuristic looking bar similar to bars in Liverpool such as 'Baa Bar' and 'Bumper' but ontop of this to add a fun crazy design, which i do for mostly for most of my drawings and designs that i do.

Original Image

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows St_cl_10

Above is the original picture I chose. Because of it being such a big image I scaled it down so its viewable on the forums but underneath in the spoiler section is a link to the actual image size (I will do the same for each image I post).

Spoiler:

Clone Stamping Unwanted Objects

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows St-cl-10

With this image I deleted all the unwanted objects I didnt need in the picture with the clone stamp tool. As you can see the car to the left has gone, the two lamposts in the image have gone and the street name sign has gone. Along with all this i deleted the houses in the background but kept the road as my idea was to change it into a shopping/bars and nightclub kind of area.

Spoiler:

Adding Windows and Colour to the Building

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows Dev210

With this part I got a large picture of a set of windows someone had on their garage. I then messed around with the saturation and the darkness to get it to the black colour that I wanted for the walls. I cut out each individual square on the windows and added my own gradient behind it to start building up the glass effect.

Spoiler:

Adding the Bars Banner

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows Dev310

As you can see with this one I filled in the black parts between the windows and i have added an image of what it looks like inside in the windows. Ontop of this I have carried on with the fun and crazy theme throughout my work by adding a glow up awesome face as my bars/nightclubs logo.

Spoiler:

Changing the Picture to Night-Time Image

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows Dev410

As you can see here the image has gone slightly darker and the background makes the bar stand out much more implying that it is a picture from the night instead of the day. The background still needs a bit of work but I thought I might aswell add a basic background such as this first before going into too much detail.

Spoiler:

Added Backdrop, Sky & Tree

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows Dev510

As you can see the sky now appears to be alot better that before, and that I have also used the image Clare gave me to put in as the backdrop. Ontop of this I was messing about to see if a tree fit into the picture but I dont know if it works well.

Also I was thinking about have a river or some water effect inbetween the city backdrop and the trees.

Spoiler:

More adjustments

Since the last picture, I have added alot more stuff such as the sign, background, door, bouncer and a few other things.

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows Dev610

Spoiler:

Landscape Matte Painting

For my landscape matte painting idea I have decided to go along the '2012' apocalypse where the earth and ground is moving, volcanos erupting and all sorts of chaos. I took a few ideas from the special effect pictures from the movie but with these I am going to incorporate my own ideas also to give a more chaotic scene.

Basic Picture Layout

As Clare asked for this landscape to have more painted elements on it I decided to outline basically how the image will be laid out. As you can see I have gone with 2012's idea of the land sinking into the sea.

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows Dev110

Spoiler:

Added Backdrop

I then added a backdrop, goin for a sunset kind of look. An exploding volcano in the background and a real sea texture to the right (which will be edited as its far too big).

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows Dev210

Spoiler:

Any Feedback you have for me, please post up!
I find it pretty useful listening to what people think needs some work and whats good.

Last edited by Burrows on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
ORCHARD
Admin
ORCHARD

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:57 pm

This is looking really good Sean, try and find a night sky photograph to build on with the render clouds you have so far Smile
Back to top Go down
https://nd-gamesdevelopment.forumotion.net
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Cheers Clare!

Yeh that was going to be the plan for the next development bit I was going to do.
Its just finding the right image that will fit into the picture nicely.
Back to top Go down
ORCHARD
Admin
ORCHARD

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 5:14 pm

Try to get some sort of night sky with a city scape to show its location

Something like this;

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows Auckla10
Back to top Go down
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 5:36 pm

Yeh good idea, I think it would just depend on what theres going to be close-by in the distance building wise because thats more like a far out view which would be good as a backdrop.
Back to top Go down
ORCHARD
Admin
ORCHARD

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Yes I mean as a backdrop, you would have to put something in the foreground between the club and backdrop to give the image some depth
Back to top Go down
andrew foden

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 7:48 pm

looking good sean xD, loving the awesome face. It could do with a neon sign to show it's a bar, or maybe some drunk people. I like the way you're going for night time as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul Wilson 1990

Paul Wilson 1990

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:17 pm

epic sean Very Happy, just epic Very Happy, love the neon awesome faces Smile, maybe u sud put up a neon fender strat guitar above the door to make it look awesome xD
Back to top Go down
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:21 pm

I was thinking of putting a guitar above the door but not a fender strat me dont like them haha (:
Back to top Go down
Paul Wilson 1990

Paul Wilson 1990

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:28 pm

xD wat about your ibanez? or a gibson les paul or better still a flying V Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:40 pm

Haha yeh, i had a go throwing my ibanez up there but it would need alot of editing to get all the glow looking good.
Back to top Go down
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 12:47 am

Added Backdrop, Sky & Tree

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows Dev510

As you can see the sky now appears to be alot better that before, and that I have also used the image Clare gave me to put in as the backdrop. Ontop of this I was messing about to see if a tree fit into the picture but I dont know if it works well.

Also I was thinking about have a river or some water effect inbetween the city backdrop and the trees.

Feedback on my ideas and what you think, would be appreciated!

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
andrew foden

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:07 am

The backdrop is looking really good. Maybe you could make the road go towards a T junction and put seaside railings along it. I reckon a river would look good. : )
Back to top Go down
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:08 am

Yup exactly what i was thinking dude, or like a deadend/promenade kinda thing with railings like u said Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul Wilson 1990

Paul Wilson 1990

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:34 am

awesome work sean Very Happy, just need the neon guitar lol!
Back to top Go down
Alex.P

Alex.P

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Looks really good, needs a bit of texture on the building, but i suppose it's not finished yet, love the smley neon sign Very Happy
I think if you just put some water into the background and some fencing it would look sweet, would be easy to do aswell, get a bit of reflection of the sky in it too and it would look great.
You could probably just copy the sky down and turn it upsidedown, stick water texture over that then just mess around with the liquify tool, hey presto instant water.
Back to top Go down
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:49 pm

Alex.P wrote:
Looks really good, needs a bit of texture on the building, but i suppose it's not finished yet, love the smley neon sign Very Happy
I think if you just put some water into the background and some fencing it would look sweet, would be easy to do aswell, get a bit of reflection of the sky in it too and it would look great.
You could probably just copy the sky down and turn it upsidedown, stick water texture over that then just mess around with the liquify tool, hey presto instant water.

I am thinking of doin that with it, but i think the texture on there could be turned into water with a bit of motion blur.
And yes I am focusing on the background at the moment and then im goin to go in detail with the building.

Cheers for feedback Smile
Back to top Go down
Lucy Mayo

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 1:54 pm

Looking really good, love how the faces glow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 2:43 pm

id go there!
Back to top Go down
ste trev

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 6:42 pm

epic faces on the wall lol!
Back to top Go down
Sean R

Sean R

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 8:29 pm

it's looking great so far, much better than the crap building that was there before haha
I definately agree with Alex that texture on the building is needed, everything else is looking pretty sweet though. The smiley face glow is great too ^^
Back to top Go down
Burrows

Burrows

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 9:08 pm

More adjustments

Since the last picture, I have added alot more stuff such as the sign, background, door, bouncer and a few other things.

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows Dev610

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Paul Wilson 1990

Paul Wilson 1990

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 9:25 pm

thats epic sean Very Happy, im loving the bouncer with the top hat and the promenade it looks like a new bar on the docks and the river mersey in the middle Very Happy, just need to touch up the roof now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sean R

Sean R

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 4:42 pm

haha that bouncer is awesome XD

I'd also like to point out that if this really is a bar on the docks then you've really improved Birkenhead in the background ;D
Back to top Go down
andrew foden

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 2:25 am

haha, looking excellent so far Very Happy, the bouncer's cool and backgrounds looking great too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows   Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows Empty

Back to top Go down

Matte Paintings - Sean Burrows
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Games Development Forum :: Student Subjects :: Unit 67: Drawing Concept art for Computer Games-
Jump to: