Games Development Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool Community College Games development Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme

Go down 
+3
Ozzfest
michaelbishop
Kingsalmonattack
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme Empty
PostSubject: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 4:16 pm

I made a longer post than this before but something happened and somehow the internet thought I was trying to get it to go back a page when I was trying to submit. Guh!

Creature 1:
Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme Creature1
This "Animachine" is made up of parts from a dunkleosteus, goonch catfish, octopus, scorpion, extractor fan, pickaxes, cable tidies and an angle grinder. I then added some extra armour plating and some rivets which I hope to tidy up during the colouring process.
During that I also intend to give it the look of a rusty submarine. Complete with barnacles around the eyes and on and around the plating.

Despite what the image shows, the tail does not stay like that all the time. This is only one of the ways it attacks. The grinder working together with either the teeth or the blade fins depending on the foe.

I'm also wondering about giving the top part at the back a neon-ish glow. But I'll have to wait for spare time at college to do that.

I actually came up with a drew this creature in about one to two hours with a use in underwater construction and rescue in mind. But seeing something like this while it's trying to save you will probably scare you to death. So it may have a use in the military in destroying or disarming enemy submarines, aircraft carriers and battleships instead.

Creature 2 Up soon.
Back to top Go down
http://wrenchesatdawn.blogspot.com/
michaelbishop

michaelbishop

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 11:02 pm

It confuses me... But looks really good, I want one for dinner Razz

num num num num!
Back to top Go down
Ozzfest

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 11:05 pm

Looks good laura, the armor seems really well put on.
Back to top Go down
Paul Wilson 1990

Paul Wilson 1990

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 10:09 pm

very interesting lol, will look good once coloured
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am

Here is some of the basic colouring I'm going for. It will probably look darker than this and the eyes will be luminous.

Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme Creatu10

I'd imagine that with so much time spent under salty water that there will be some wear and tear. So I'll have to add more of that, too.
Back to top Go down
Ozzfest

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 4:07 pm

Remember to use the burn tool for shadow effect, also where are your other two creatures?
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 10:00 pm

Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme Creatu11
Here's an update on the first creature's colouring progress.

I added some rust, it will need extra shading btu I think it turned out well.

Since I'm using Paint Shop Pro there aren't the same tools but very similar ones.

I'm adding a metal texture using the mesh warp tool and using layer blend modes in combination with the burn tool for the shading.

The dodge tool is pretty good for adding highlights to the metal

I added a bit fo a reddish-orange tint to the main body colour. It's not rust but I just figured a bit of colour variation within each colour would make it look a bit more lifelike.
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 6:49 am

Updateamundo!

Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme Creatu12

Since I got a new laptop for an early Christmas present I've been able to do a lot more work in a shorter period of time.

I still have a few more things to do to this. Then I'll start posting up the progress made on the second creature. Hopefully the third, too once I've finished inking it.

Need to maybe put some other textures in. But it's no big deal if I don't. I still have another two to do that with.

Now I have to do my Louis from Left 4 Dead "Pills Here!" impression, take my painkillers and nut the pillow.
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:17 am

Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme Creatu16
Here is the complete creature with an added aquatic-looking background.

Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme Creatu14

Here comes creature 2 in all it's glory. A chimera of the objects and creatures on the right.
And while the last one was inked by hand before being uploaded and coloured, this one is having both done by computer.
Back to top Go down
Alex.P

Alex.P

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 2:08 pm

That thing is scary looking Very Happy, will be cool to see a coloured up version definitly
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 5:30 pm

Scary looking is what I do. Lol.
Back to top Go down
Hick3y1 :D

Hick3y1 :D

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 4:11 pm

to dark to make out what its ment to be

try lightening it up yea? maybe add water in back ground looks like a water creature
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 6:39 pm

Sometimes monitors see images differently because I can see it just fine.
Back to top Go down
ste trev

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 6:43 pm

gd work laura the first one mint!! an the second one is creep as hell!! cant wait to see it finished
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 1:11 am

Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme Creatu17
I've gotten further than this, but I still have to post this part of the progress from drawing to completed image.

I'm definitely not going to ink by computer ever again. It took WAAAAY too long and it looks terrible in comparison.

Anyway, I decided to make a few changes form the original drawing by giving the face an appearance of the front of a Spartan helmet. For the eyes I am using the appearance switched-off traffic lights.

I decided to give the frayed ends of the cables the appearance of hands.
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 11:32 pm

Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme Creatu18

I decided to scrap the light eyes and went for the glowing vortexes of doom.

Originally I was going to go for a plain warty toadskin texture on the back but while experimenting with highlights I decided it would be better for small LEDs to be set in it.

It's almost completed so I'll be posting about one or two more images from this one.
Back to top Go down
Kingsalmonattack

Kingsalmonattack

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 3:01 am

Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme Creatu19
Here is the complete second creature with a background that is visible in colourcode 3D (The format used in Channel 4's 3D Week). Or at least it was until I changed the background from black to white to show the shape fo the "arms".

Third one will be posted tomorrow morning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme   Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme Empty

Back to top Go down

Unit 67: Task 2 - Laura Syme
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Games Development Forum :: Student Subjects :: Unit 67: Drawing Concept art for Computer Games-
Jump to: